We are continuing our work with the project.
One focus is: Develop Safe Boat Design and Boat Building (SBDBB) based on FAO Standards.
Boatbuilding is a complex and labour intensive industry. Safety of the boat is based on the designing of the boat and use of quality materials in building boats. The base for width, draft and depth of the boat is related with the length of the boat. Optimum use of space in the boat is another safety factor to be considered while designing and building a boat. Marine electrification with proper luminous is indispensible in the boat.
See below for some pictures of our engagement with students.
A special meeting was organized in Scott Christian College, Nagercoil on 9th October 2015 at the eve of the IEEE Day. Dr.M. Rashi, the Vice-principal has presided the meeting. Dr.A. Moses Ezhil Raj, Head of the Department of Physics and Dr. Chella Kumar Rose, Dean, Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering, Nagercoil delivered special address. Mr. Sam Michael, Artisanal Deep Sea Fisherman (Expert in Traditional Communication) and Mr. S.Elkiyas, Artisanal Deep Sea Fisherman (Expert in Traditional Navigation) shared their experience. Dr. A. Anandhy HoD of Economics, Dr. C. James, Department of Physics, Prof. B. Shamina Ross, Department of Computer Science, Prof.G. Ramesh Babu, Department of Business Administration, Dr. Suresh Chandra Kumar, Department of Chemistry, Dr. P. Sundara Raj, Department of Economics, Dr. D. Hylin Reba, Department of Economics, Dr. Selva Smiley, Department of Economics and Dr. Jeena Pearl, Department of Chemistry were attended the meeting. Mr. J.Vincent Jain, Chair, IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT discussed various projects which are needed to fisheries sector especially to the Artisanal Deep Sea Fisheries. Dr. A.Yardily, Department of Chemistry has taken the responsibility of organizing the meeting and he welcomed the gathering. Er. Angelin Indira, Project Coordinator, IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT delivered the IEEE Day message and also proposed vote of thanks.
It is proposed to form a separate group under IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT in Scott Christian College like NCC, NSS, Red Cross, Green Crops etc. The purpose of forming such kind of group is to encourage non-engineering students and faculty members to develop humanitarian technology activities and engage them in such kind of activities.
Dr. M.Suresh Chandra Kumar has already built a model boat with rubber mixed material and he wished to develop a scale down model boat for Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers. He also agreed to make Kitchen and Bio toilet for the boats. Prof.B. Shamina Ross has expressed interest in developing a Digital Screen. Physics students expressed their interest in luminous intensity study in fishing boat with the students of Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering and St. Xaviers Catholic College of Engineering. Prof.G. Ramesh Babu has agreed to undertake a preliminary study on fish market value chain. A project on Cost Benefit Analysis for a Fishing Boat to the B.Com students lead by Mr. Jeniston
IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT provide the below mentioned services to the College:
- Capacity Building Training
- Skill Development Programme
- Training on Project Preparation, Evaluation etc
- Preparing students in various Competitive Examinations
- Organizing Exposure to New Areas of Intervention
- Supporting and assisting in linking with companies for internships, research, placements etc.
IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT
(Proposed Structure of the Group)
Patron: Dr.M. Edwin Gnanadhas
College Coordinator: Dr. A. Yardily
Faculty Lead: Prof.G. Ramesh Babu
Prof.B. Shamina Ross
Students Lead: Dhaneesh, III B.Com
Jenepha, I MSc Physics
1. Kimtares, III BCA
2. Merlin Dominic, III BBA
3. Altrine Geno, II MSc Chemistry
4. Shine J.P Nifha, IM.Sc Physics
5. G. Jeniston, III BCom
6. N. Sreedhar, MPhil, Economics
7. Ashish, I BBM
Special thanks to Dr. M.Edwin Gnana Dhas, Principal for the efforts and special interest shown and providing necessary facilities in the college for organizing the meeting. Special thanks to Dr. Chella Kumar Rose for taking the lead to organize the events in the College.
We are pleased to announce the Proceedings and Recommendations of the first consultation on Safe Boat Design and Boat Building to FAO Standards.
This consultation was organized on July 29 and 30 by IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT, Association of Deep Sea Going Artisanal Fishermen and South Indian Federation of Fishermen Societies.
Different topics were discussed during seven sessions.
Click here to read the Safe Boat Building Consultation Proceedings and Recommendations.
This is a second announcement for our orientation programme for tomorrow. Kindly attend and encourage students and other interested people to attend the Project Orientation Programme on 19th Saturday September 2015 at Rotary Community Hall, Near Collector Office, Nagercoil. Time: 10.00 AM to 4.00 PM. A detailed list of Projects are given below and the attendees can select any of the projects from the list.
List of Projects
- Luminous Intensity study
- CC CAM monitoring system
- Magnified GPS Screen for Fishing Boat
- Design and cost estimation of Bio-toilet and Kitchen in fishing boat
- Designing of fuel tank and water tank for the boat
- Space Management of the boats
- System for creating and monitoring on-board Electronic logbook of Fishing crafts
- System for maintaining Electronic Register, Electronic Receipt and Payment
- Lighting System in the boat
- Man on-board Wearable Alert Mechanism
- Solar Powered Tricycle for fish vending women
- Solar Powered Reflectors
- Solar Powered Small Ice Making Unit
- Solar Powered Small Boat
- Solar Powered Mini Bus and Car
- Solar Powered Refrigeration for Fishing Boats
- Solar Power Charging Station/Solar Power Bank
- Image Processing and Identification of Banned Sharks and other Species
- Fish Marketing Intelligence System (F-MIS)
- System for maintenance of Field-based fishing Craft Registration system
- Fishery Information System (M-FIS)
- Making Value Added Products with Waste Materials
The IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT organizes a one day Orientation Programme, with the vision of encouraging Engineering Students and Faculties to involve with various small projects in Marine field. It also aims to formulate small project teams by providing basic knowledge of the projects under the IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT. It will enable them to accomplish the expected outcome efficiently.
Students, faculties and other interested people are invited to attend the programme. Need based technical and other support will also be given to them, but preferences will be given to the IEEE Members.
Speakers will include:
Shri Satish Babu and Dr. Priestly SHan
Project Orientation to Engineering students and other interested people
Date / Time: 19th September 2015 at 10.30 AM to 4.30 PM
Venue: Rotary Community Hall, Near Collector Office, Nagercoil, Kanyakumary District
More program details will be released soon.
Many groups will come together at the end of this month to consult on boat design. We would like to make a safe boat, but with many inputs, we can surely make a smart boat.
For more info, contact:
- Mr. V. Romanse Secretary-ADSGAF, Mob: 9344410884, Email: email@example.com
Prof: P. Lovelin Auguskani, (Treasurer- IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT, Mob: 9486413798, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Belgin P.Morais, Head-Boat Yard Division, SIFFS, Mob: 7558982220, email: email@example.com
Prof. G. Gaswin Kastro Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Annai Vailankanni College of Engineering, Mob: 9597684743, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Er. Angelin Indra, Member-IEEE Artisanal Deep Sea Fishers SIGHT and Coordinator-Students, Mob: 9566141577, email: email@example.com
- IEEE Madras Section, Room No. 3, ISTE Professional Centre, Gandhi Mandapam Road, Chennai – 600 025, Phone: +91 (044) 24423939