Research and Development (R & D) plays an important role in the innovation process. ADSGAF felt that R & D is indispensible part of deep sea fisheries and which is not getting proper attention either from the government or from any other private companies. Fishing at sea is the most dangerous occupation and safeguarding their life at sea is prime important. These factors motivated ADSGAF to take up R & D activities for the artisanal deep sea fishers. ADSGAF also felt that R & D is one of the means of developing new ideas, products and services that can be used for improving safety at sea, navigation and communication facilities. While making an R & D plan ADSGAF included activities to respond the Current Environmental Challenges.
- Monitor the voyage of boats, vessels, ships etc.
- Safety at sea such as head-on-collision with other boats and ships,
- Communication to the shore with economical electronic gadgets,
- Alert systems to locate missing fishermen due to accidents while on board
- Direct communication systems should be developed for accessing warning signals
- Fish location signals from scientific organizations on a routine basis to the fishing vessels.
- Use of alternative materials by replacing wood for the manufacturing fishing boats
- Use of solar energy in Fisheries
Establishing a full-fledged department requires large amount of human capital, funds etc. Hence at the initial level ADSGAF decided to use the existing facilities in the companies, workshops etc for the works to be carried out on payment basis as well as free services.