Attached is the final report and minutes of the third mission meeting held last month in Mangalore.
This contains the details of the meeting as well as several salient recommendations/suggestions/ideas that arose from participants. Please see the linked document for the full report as well as the suggestions listed below:
- Feasible conservation measures should be evolved and should be adopted for saving sharks-the health of our ocean.
- Data regarding sharks under viviparous, oviparous, and ovoviviparous categories are needed as it is important for recommending shark conservation measures.
- Modern facilities and human resource may be provided to CMFRI for identifying and assimilating information on the three categories of sharks
- Special programmes should organize for Conservation organizations, environmentalists, medias to provide field level inputs on conservation of sharks.
- Encourage fisheries college students to take up shark conservation related projects as part of their course.
- The CMFRI should initiate field level projects to work with fishing community.
- ICT and expertise of IEEE could be tapped for conservation of sharks
- The Secretary, Government of India of the MoEF & CC will be the Chairperson for the National Mission on Conservation of Sharks-India
- Provide separate secretariat for NMCSI in the MoEF & CC, Delhi for the operation of shark conservation related activities at National level.
- The Secretaries of the Government of the respective states of the Department of Environment and Forests will be Chairpersons for the State Missions in each coastal states
- Provide separate secretariat in the particular Department for operation of shark conservation related activities at State level.
- The National Mission combined with the State Missions will be the major link between the Government and the community for shark conservation related activities.
- The present Core Team has to be strengthened
- There will be permanent members from the MoEF & CC, CMFRI, FSI, MPEDA, CITES, FAO etc other than the present members to the Core Team
- The fourth National Mission Meeting will be held at Goa and the responsibility for organizing the meeting is given to Advocate Jose Bilbin
- The fifth National Mission Meeting will be held at Andhra Pradesh and the responsibility for organizing the meeting is given to Mr. Arjalidasu
- Complete the Mission Meetings in rest of the states and submit the report in the month of August 2015